Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mark's Visit

4.6.08

My good friend Mark Turley decided to come visit me for about a week from March 29th to April 6th. Even though I was working, we still managed to see a great deal of the sites in and around Tokyo. In the end, there were still a myriad of things I wished that I could've shown him, but that is a simple problem to fix! He'll just to come back for a return visit!

His flight arrived an hour early on Saturday, March 29th; it landed around 3:30pm rather than 4:30pm. Unfortunately, I had to teach until 3pm so I was going to be just on time assuming he would be arriving at the normal time. Since his flight arrived so early, I was a little worried that he would think I had forgotten about him. As he later told me, he was just about to have the airport page me when I walked up the stairs. He was standing right there and I was so happy to see him. I will admit it was a little strange to see one of my good American friends here in Japan but that is far from a complaint. Please enjoy the pictures from our adventures!

Sunday, March 30th
Since Sunday was the only day during Mark's stay that I had completely free, I decided it would be the best day to go on a trip to Kamakura. The early train ride was the start of our long journey that would eventually bring us to the Giant Budda (Daibatsu)--one of the first things I saw when I arrived in Japan! In this picuture, Mark and I are hamming it up for the camera.

I was intrigued by these beautiful flowers that I found at one of the small temples lining the main street of Kamakura.

Mark walking through the Shuu Genji Temple garden in Kamakura.

There I am leaning against a tree in Kamakura's Hase Dera Temple. This is one of the largest and, in my opinion, the most peaceful temples in Kamakura.

Mark arrived just in time to see the blooming of the Japanese cherry blossom trees (sakura). The blooming period lasted just a little over a week before all the blossoms had fallen. This picture was taken at the Hase Dera Temple and you can see the cherry blossom tree in the background. I wish everyone I knew could've been there to see the sweet smelling incense as it wafted up and around the delicate pink cherry blossoms. It as a beautiful scene. Little did I know how many more cherry blossoms I would see as the week with Mark continued.

A regatta was starting in the distance.

I had already gone inside the Giant Budda last August so I decided to pass on the opportunity to go inside again. Instead, I took this picture of Mark--with his black hoodie and scarf--walking into the copper statue after paying his 20 yen (about $0.20).

The Giant Budda's (Daibastu) close-up

Mark and I standing in front of the Giant Budda in Kamakura.

This cute little kitty, who reminded me of my two cats back home in America, was keeping warm by sitting near the heater in one of the Kamakura shops. The damp and rainy weather left a little chill in the air.

Ninja Stars

Mark and I went to a local ska concert in Ueno.

Tuesday, April 1st

April Fools! Well, not really. Today, I took Mark to Shibuya so we could check out some guitar shops. There was shop called Ikebe Guitars that was divided into little shops all located around the same area. It took us a little while to find the shops but all went well when we eventually realized they were right in front of us.

Mark told me all about the guitars in this vintage guitar shop. I learned so much about guitars during his stay in Japan. Thanks Mark!

I couldn't help but take a picture of this Japanese Jazz club in honor of my grandmother. Like her, it was named Mary Jane.

Here Mark is trying out the Fender Mustang guitar that he eventually decided to buy. Pardon the expression, but he was like a kid in a candy store when he discovered this guitar in one of the Shibuya shops we visited. According to Mark, the design of this guitar can only be purchased in Japan. Good thing he came to visit!

Wednesday, April 2nd

As recommended by my boss, I took mark to Shimosa Nakayma to see the cherry blossoms and visit some of the temples and shrines there.

This entire path was lined with cherry blossom trees.

I couldn't help but stop and watch a few of the children that were petting a cat as it lounged in the sun.

Cherry Blossom Trees

It was the first time I had ever seen pansies this color.

In the middle of this picture you can see a man creating an oil painting.

It is very popular for families and friends to hold picnics under the cherry blossom trees.

Mark tried the hamburger sushi at Kapa sushi.

Mark also tried the sweet egg sushi.

Friday, April 4th

While I was at work Mark went to a custom Fender shop to look at some of the guitars. According to Mark, this Fender shop was one of two in the world! The other one was in Europe.

This guitar is one of a kind!

While Mark was here we also went to a few other places like Meiji Shrine in Harajuku and walked around Omodesando Hills. I made Mark try a few new foods that he would've never had if he hadn't come here. I was proud of him for trying so many new things. By the end of his stay, his chopstick abilities had definitely improved!

The day after Mark left, I took this picture of the fallen cherry blossom petals. It was as if they had known he had left.

No comments: