Thursday, April 24, 2008

Night On The Town

4.19.08

Today Lauren and I had the privilege of meeting up with my past Binghamton University professor Donald C. Gause. Professor Gause taught Professional Skills, which was chock full of heuristic problem solving and other activities meant to broaden the way we look at, solve, and define the vague problems we would potentially be presented with in our future careers as engineers. It was an enjoyable class, and as Professor Gause continued to remind me during my visit with him, it was full of information that was "extremely important and life changing" if I would only accept this as being so. In all honesty, I really enjoyed his class. I hope I'm not too far off the mark, but I think one of the most important messages he was trying to get into our heads was the importance of turning vague requests into concrete results. It's important to note that this skill is important to more than just the engineering profession.

Anyway, back to our night out in Roppongi! Lauren had to work late so we decided to meet up with her at the concert hall. In the mean time I met up with Professor Gause at the International House of Japan in Roppongi (downtown Tokyo) where he was staying for a week long conference. It was a little rainy so we talked a little in the lobby and then headed to the concert. After a little adventure around Tokyo, Professor Gause and I finally made it to the Suntory Concert Hall--not the Suntory office building. Suntory is a very famous beverage company in Japan, and consequently, has many different offices buildings around Tokyo. It was good to see Lauren waiting for us at the entrance to the theater.

The Suntory Concert Hall is a marvelous hall consisting of 360 degree seating around the main stage. Behind the stage is a extremely large pipe organ that is unlike any I have ever seen before. Two sections of the pipes are actually protruding from the wall! Professor Gause, Lauren, and I were sitting at about 10 o'clock with respect to the conductor. It was an amazingly unique experience due to a combination or our location and the sound of the orchestra. We were there to hear the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. They played three pieces: one by L. Berio/F. Shubert, one by M. Bruch ("Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor" with soloist Erik Shumann) and the last by O. Respighi ("The Pines of Rome"). The soloist in the second peace was very talented and the last piece consisted of the entire orchestra--organ and all. There was even a section of five trombones that played from one of the balconies far off from the stage. Overall, the sound was grand and motivating thanks to the artists and the acoustics of the hall.

After the concert, the three of us went to Wolfgang Puck's restaurant. We chatted for quite a while about whatever topic came up. Lauren and Professor Gause bonded over their connection as Hoosiers. It was funny to listen to them trying to explain the etymology of the word Hoosier.

After our Respighi and spaghetti (this connection was made by Professor Gause so I cannot take credit for it.), we all said our goodbyes and parted ways. It was good to see Professor Gause--one of my teachers and friends--in a place that is so far from home. Thank you Professor Gause! Both Lauren and I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful evening filled with culture, laughter, and good times all around.

Some artwork that caught my eye on the way to the International House of Japan.

This picture was taken from the main banister looking down upon the entrance of the Suntory Concert Hall in Roppongi.

From left to right: me, Professor Gause, and Lauren. We are all standing inside the Suntory Concert Hall in Roppongi.

Tokyo Tower all lit up.

Random Side Note: I was asking my students about their favorite restaurants the other day in class. I mentioned Kappa Sushi--one of my all time favorite places to eat sushi here in Japan--and one of my students responded "mazuiiiii!". In other words, she was totally disgusted with the fact that I like eating there. I was a little surprised but maybe I just don't have the well seasoned pallet that my eight year old Japanese students have. Maybe if I stay here for 7 more years I'll develop a better understanding. :)

1 comment:

Hu said...

Is Don wearing a rain coat??