Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Tokyo Loop

3.2.08

Today, on my day off, I traveled around to different parts of Tokyo. Basically, after it was all said and done, I had made a big loop which started and ended at my apartment (Random Side Note: Many apartments here are actually referred to as "mansions". I'm not really sure why, but maybe the Japanese are trying to emphasize their luxury despite their size. Anyways, my apartment is definitely not a "mansion", but please do not think I'm complaining. I'm very grateful to have a place to call home.).

It was a perfect day to get out and explore. The sun was shining and their was an ever so slight breeze that kept my body at the perfect temperature while I went to the various places my wandering feet took me. First I went to Asakusa to see the shrine and then decided to go to Odaiba to see the Miraikan Museum of Innovation and Emerging Science again. The last time I had visited, I had to leave before seeing all the exhibits.

After going to the museum it was about time to go home for dinner. It actually took me 2 hours to get home because I took a "long cut": Yurikamame Line to Sobu Line to Keisei Line (three different train lines)! Lauren made vegetable soup for the first time ever and it was very delicious! The soup consisted of green pepper, potato, carrot, bean sprouts, garlic, and daikon. Normally I'm not very keen to eat daikon-a very popular and extremely large (I have seen ones that are about 1.5 feet long and 3-4 inches in diameter.) radish-but when it is cooked in soup, it doesn't seem to bother my taste buds.

From the paragraph above, it seems as if two places should hardly be considered "exploring". However, these two places are very far apart! Asakusa is to the northeast of Tokyo Station and Odaiba is to the southeast of Tokyo Station overlooking the bay. I took just about every form of transportation I could think while traveling around today; except for a taxi and a bicycle. Here are a few pictures I took while traveling in a big loop around Tokyo; a loop that started and ended at my apartment.

The shopping area in from of the Asakusa shrine is decorated for the spring. Around the end of March the cherry blossoms will start to bloom; therefore, announcing the start of spring.

All these women are wearing traditional Japanese kimonos but I'm not exactly sure why.

Tomorrow, March 3rd is Hinamatsuri. Hinamatsuri is a special Japanese holiday honoring young girls. The little girl above is dressed in a traditional kimono for this occation. According to what Lauren told me, each young girl is given a Hina doll set (most of them are very expensive) that is meant to be set up in their room at home. The set must be taken down before a certain date as well. The dolls represent the hierarchy of the ancient Japanese court. For example, the Emperor and Empress are placed on the highest platform. As we were walking through our local train station the other day, Lauren and I were surprised to notice the teared platform (click here to see the set).

This man was feeding the hungry pigeons some of his left over crumbs.

I wanted to buy this "Ninja Set" for someone back home but I compromised with my wallet and just took a picture.

At the Miraikan, I made this little crab (kani) out of foam. The foam stuck together after wetting it with a damp sponge.

One of the exhibits was created by kids and for kids! From this entrance, I'm sure you can imagine how much I enjoyed the rest of the exhibit.

One of my favorite parts about the exhibit you can view in the video below. A large portion of the floor space was filled up by a tarp depicting a house. The image on the floor was then projected on the adjacent wall so the children could interact with the image on the floor. I had lots of fun watching the children play. I caught one father sleeping in the "bed" for a about 20 minutes. I felt drawn to join but refrained due to my lack of friends to share in the experience. If you look closely you will be able to see the little boy hanging from the tree while the two little girls try to scale the latter on the other side of the house.



Random Shout Outs: I would like to thank Margene and Brenda for their flattering comments. It always makes me happy to know that the readers of my blog find humor in my postings. Concerning the names of my entries, I try to name them so both I, and other people like you, will be able to distinguish between them. And yes, I try to write as if I'm telling a story-a story of my life here in the Land of the Rising Sun.

No comments: