Sunday, March 16, 2008

American Friends, Kinchijoji and Yokohama

3.14.08

Today I met up with Laura Kim, one of my good friends from Binghamton University. Laura and I were both dancers in Binghamton University's, Philipino-American League's Spring Barrio Festival 2007. Laura has been traveling around Asia with her childhood friend Jessi for the past month. Laura told me that they would be in Tokyo and we both agreed that it was absolutely necessary for us to meet up. We spent the morning and early afternoon walking around Shibuya, talking and I was able to take them to the Vegan Healing Cafe restaurant that I went to with Johanne a few months ago.

My student Maki gave me these Fairycake Fair cupcakes today. I'm not exactly sure why she gave them to me but I assumed it was for White Day. White Day is today and it is basically like Valentine's Day but for guys to give something in return. Remember, here in Japan, only girls give presents on Valentine's Day. :)

Three orders of falafel burgers please!

Jessi and Laura

Laura and I in front of the restaurant.

Random Shout Outs: I also want to wish everyone a Happy Pi Day; hence the date March 14th also written as 3.14! I was reminded by my good friend Kate Devoe that today is a day where we are meant to celebrate the mathematical constant 3.14159265358979323846… Thanks Kate! Want to know "How to Celebrate Pi Day"? Click here. I would also like to thank Edel Bautista for the wonderful present of Pepperige Farm Goldfish that she sent along with Laura. Those little fish swam a long way to go into my stomach.

3.15.08

It had poured all day yesterday, and while riding into school early this morning, some evidence of the storm remained on the glistening leaves and in the damp street. After work today I took my time riding my bike home. I wanted to be sure to enjoy the beautiful weather. It has been getting warmer the past few days--about 50-60F on most days.

I took the Sobu line out of Chiba to a station quite far beyond Shinjuku called Kinchijoji. Kinchijoji is the stop just before Mitaka, which is famous for Studio Gibuli. Hayao Miazaki, also known as Japan's "Walt Disney", created animation masterpieces such as: Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away and countless others. Please expect more on this later.

Returning to the topic of interest, I was in Kinchijoji to meet up with Leah and some of her friends who were playing a show. We gathered in the station and headed a Japanese restaurant for a little bite to eat. I only ordered a few sides because I had already eaten a little before leaving home. We made our way to the little club where Leah's friend's band was playing. It was on the fourth floor or a random building in Kinchijoji. The warm glow of the red walls and the sound of music made up for the cigarette smoke that filled the room since there are no laws prohibiting indoor smoking in Japan. The first and second bands consisted almost entirely of Japanese musicians. These two bands used a variety of instruments to create distinctly different sounding pieces. Some songs were rather relaxing because of their repetitive beats while others used purposefully clashing sounds to set the listener on edge. The third band called Aleks And The Ramps (You can look them up on Myspace.com.) consisted of two Australians--a girl and a guy. The guy played the mandolin while the girl played the synthesizer. I enjoyed both their music and stage presence; they did several choreographed dances during their set.

This was the first band at the show. As far as instruments go there was: a drummer, two guitarists, a bassists, a clarinetist and a percussionist. The venue was really nice despite the cigarette smoke.

Leah and I got home rather late but we were both glad that we had taken the opportunity to go. We walked home from the station because it was so warm outside. On the way home we stopped in a convenient store and I bought some Ritz-Bitz sandwich crackers. I normally don't eat them but for some reason I was in the mood for American style snacks.

3.16.08

Leah, Lauren and I decided to take a day trip to Yokohama! Here are a few of the pictures I took while we were there. The weather was perfect for wandering.

The rainbow Minatomirai line in Yokohama took us to Chinatown.

Because the weather was so beautiful, many other people were visiting Chinatown today. This picture of Leah--in the left-hand side of the picture--was taken right in front of the entrance to Chinatown. You can see the gate behind Leah.

The three of us ate some lunch at the top of this building. My shrimp wonton soup was delicious!

Lauren and Leah posing with Hello Kitty in Yokohama's Chinatown.

Leah took this picture of me in front of a Chinese shrine.

These freshly made meat dumplings (nikuman) seemed to be very popular.

I took this picture of Kermit and My Little Pony for my sister Sarah. Kermit looks as if he is saying, "Like duh! Of course I'm a My Little Pony cowboy!".

This creepy stuffed animal was standing in a case outside a restaurant in Chinatown.

Goldfish floating in a bowl outside one of the shops in Yokohama's Chinatown.

I gave Julius the Monkey, created by fashion designer Paul Frank's, a "low-ten" just before leaving Yokohama.

No comments: