Thursday, February 28, 2008

I am grape!

2.28.08

Thursdays are always a challenge for me. This is mainly due to the ages of the children in my classes; just about all of my students on days like today are between the ages of 5 and 9 (with some exceptions). Most of them are just being introduced to formal education and their behavior tends to be very unpredictable and energetic.

Anyway, I wanted to mention something that made both me and my student-I had to explain it to him before he understood-laugh today. I usually spend the first few minutes of class going over the weather, time, and how my students are feeling. Today rather then saying "I am great!" when asked "How are you doing?", my student exclaimed loudly, "I am grape!". He was so enthusiastic about being a grape.

It should be noted that enthusiasm for English is a great thing! And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that I could possibly be saying that simply because of my current working position. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM GRAPEFUL--
to you, Sheila, you write such a wonderful blog, with great descriptions and so much humor. I can really picture everything in my mind. Your kids are really adorable.

Love,
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Another comment--
When my mother and her brother were intently trying to practice their English, they decided to write their letters to each in English only. Not being that familiar with the language, he once signed off "your lovely brother, Mike" when he meant loving. 40 years or so later, he was teaching psychics in Israel (he spoke Hebrew fairly fluently), but all of a sudden his lecture hall burst out laughing. He was using the wrong vowel in a certain word, and instead of being the mathematical term he wanted, was using the Hebrew word for "bra". And, a friend of mine who was just learning English and became very nervous at a funeral, kept telling everyone "congratulations". A few days before, she had gone to a wedding, and because of being flustered, forgot the words "I'm sorry" and used the only word she could remember!--Brenda again

Anonymous said...

I just love how every entry has a title and a theme, it actually helps me pull all the comments together into a single concept. It becomes a lesson or daily insight rather than a random stream of events, like most journals. Giving each entry a title sets me up for the story you are about to tell; especially with an unusual title...it gets my attention. How did you decide to title each entry? This must be common to blogs on-line as compared to a paper journal that you write in. This must be the educator in you, that you want to teach us about Japanese life by always telling us a story. Good storytellers, like good writers, use details to help us imagine the scenes. Thank you for continuing to look at Japanese life through the eyes of an "outsider" for that helps us see it too!
MW