Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sayonara!

2.23.08

As of today I have officially been living in Japan for 6 months and 4 days! I have a few interesting things to report since last week's post.

Today Lauren and I will take the train to the airport, where we will say goodbye to Minsoo. I'm a bit sad that one of my best friends here in Japan is leaving, but I know that I will talk to him in the future. Goodbye are always a little easier knowing that you will hear/see the person at some undetermined point in the future. I have a feeling that Minsoo will be a famous CEO someday. When that day comes I will look back at my blog and say, "Yay! I knew it!".

Look at all that luggage!

Even though his cart says "Welcome to Japan", Minsoo is doing just the opposite. He's on his way back to Seoul, South Korea. (You can see the black and grey skull scarf I gave him for the holidays.)

Just before meeting up with Minsoo, both Lauren and I were stopped by a Japanese police officer who asked for our identification cards. We didn't actually do anything wrong; it's common for police officers in Japan to randomly request a form of valid identification from you, even if you haven't done anything wrong. Lauren first warmed me about this when I arrived in Japan so I was slightly less nervous then I would've been without the warning. The officer was very nice and it didn't take him long to take down the information on our gaijin cards.

The past three days have been rather warm days despite the sweeping gusts of wind that nearly throw people (including Lauren and I) off their bicycles. As we were leaving work today, Lauren and I definitely spotted a Rolls parked in front of our school. I can safely say that I have not ever seen a car like that parked out on the street.

Tomorrow (Sunday), Lauren and I are going to Yokohama to go sight seeing and also visit one of her friends from college. It should be fun and hopefully I will have some pictures to post when I return.

Updated 2.25.08 with pictures from Yokohama:

Lauren and I enjoying the comfortable seats of the Sobu Rapid Green Car. The Green Car is actually part of the regular train but you have to pay a little more for the atmosphere-the car has nicer seats, and is warm and quiet. Many people take the Green Car when they are traveling long distances like we did on Sunday.

Yokohama's Cosmo World Amusement Park at night.

Lauren and I had a nice relaxing time at this bath house. We were there for about two hours soaking in the warmth and relaxing after a trying week at school.

I also wanted to mention that I made a reservation to go to the International Symposium on Global Warming and Biodiversity in the Makuhari Messe Conference Center on March 9th (10am-5pm). There will be numerous speakers and sessions concerning global warming issues. :)



I spent a good 10 minutes watching the lights of this ferris wheel in Yokohama.

Random Side Note: Lauren, my apartment mate, has also decided to start a blog. You can view her blog by clicking here.

No comments: