Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dinner Parties and Snow

2.3.08

Last night Lauren and I had three our girl friends over for dinner. It was really great to make dinner, talk, and have fun with friends. Azusa brought us a delicious New York Style Cheesecake that she made from scratch. She loves to cook and bake, just like me! Everyone else chipped in with the fish, fried potatoes and salad; it turned out to be a really yummy dinner. After dinner, Lauren and I taught Azusa, Sayoko and Aya how to play Spoons!

(The picture of us is on it's way.)

Lauren and I are spending our one day off this week relaxing at home. As you can see by my blog, I have been trying to catch up on my posts - I just posted 4 times in one day!

When I woke up this morning at 9:30am and looked out the window I was very surprised to see that it was snowing! I went into my room to do some Yoga and then opened my window to see what it was like outside. Since Lauren and I sleep in the living room to save energy on heating the house, I almost ran in and jumped on her but I quickly decided against this idea. I let her sleep until 10am and then told her the good news! We were both so excited.

Seven hours later and it's still snowing! I think when Minsoo comes over for dinner we're going to ask him to go out and build a snowman with us. Right now we're making cookies in our microwave that supposedly doubles as an oven. We can see the red hot element inside, but to be honest, we're a little skeptical about the whole thing. As Lauren would say, "It looks questionable to me!". On a cooking related note, Hiroko showed Lauren and I how to use the hot water system in the kitchen this past week. Up until now, we have been boiling water on the stove top and using it to wash dishes because we thought the system was broken. I can't tell you how convenient it is to have hot running water. The things you take for granted! :)

When I looked out my window this morning this is what I saw!

Big Fluffy Snowflakes

(The next five pictures were added on 2.9.08.)

At first, we were skeptical about using our microwave to bake cookies despite the multitude of our friends that assured us it would work. Thank you Lauren for using your expert Japanese reading skills in order to figure out how it worked. Afterall, it was her that did most of the work; all I did was discover the "oven" had a hot element inside. In the end, we were thoroughly impressed with our Japanese microwave/oven. The Japanese think of everything; especially, when it comes to saving space. Why have two separate appliances when you can combine them into one!?

Yum! American chocolate/m&m mini chip cookie bars made in Japan. Now I just need some milk. :)

I like anything when Moomin is on it; except for this frozen Kewpie Mayonnaise that was stuck under an ice stalactite in the back of our fridge.

Meet Mr. Snowman! The snow was ideal for snowman making so I couldn't resist. Lauren was also determined to make as many American snowmen as she could, but only ended up making two because she wasn't wearing any gloves. :/

Interesting fact: Snowmen in Japan are only made from two snowballs (head and feet) while ones in America are typically made from three (head, stomach, and feet).



My mother sent me some pictures she took during the snowstorm in Buffalo, NY this past week. Because of the strong winds, one of our old pine trees feel right over onto our house. Some of the pictures that my mother took are below.

You can see the tree leaning on my my one story, ranch house. In the left hand side of the picture you can see the roots of the tree sticking up into the air.

A view of the fallen tree from the front of my house.

My poor house from the inside. We needed a new roof anyway...

No comments: