Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner

11.22.07

Since today was the first of our two days off, Lauren and I had time to do chores around the house and have a nice Thanksgiving Day breakfast. Around 11am we left the house and headed to meet our friend Johanne for lunch in Harajuku. We were really excited to finally see Johanne in the never-ending stream of people that were coming out of the turn-styles at the Harajuku station. We decided to go across the street from the station at this very nice Italian restaurant. I think out of all the Italian restaurants I've eaten at in Japan, this one was one of the best. We had a delicious oven-baked pizza with whole basil leaves and perfectly melted mozzarella cheese. It was so yummy. We also got some other food to share. We talked for a long time about life and just enjoyed the restaurant's bird's eye view of the busy streets below.

Johanne had to go back home to prepare some food for the Thanksgiving Day party so Lauren and I walked around for an hour or so before heading off to help prepare for the party too. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but Lauren and I made very simple dishes to pass at the party. I made mashed potatoes just like my mother makes them; except I had to mash them with a rice cooker paddle. Lauren made tuna, pasta salad that turned out to be very tasty as well. Johanne made a popular Fillipino dish called Adobo (She used fish so I could eat it. Thanks Johanne!). There was also chicken (It is hard to find turkey here in Japan.), stuffing, Korean kimchi (spicy cabbage), rice, sushi, salad, and special cakes made by my friend Jenny. Here are some pictures of our Korean style Thanksgiving Party!

Abe is digging in!

Joe and Mike

From left to right: Asuka, Josh, Josh's friend, and Johanne. They have A LOT left to eat :)

From left to right: Emma, Jenny, Grace, and Ken

Me and Johanne!

No comments: