Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sleep Over

11.4.07

I can't believe how quickly time has been passing me by. It's already November! Yesterday after work, Lauren and I made our way to church. We finally got there around 6:30pm and practiced for today's performance until about 10pm. I stayed at the church until about 11:30pm because a friend had asked me to edit a paper she had written in English.

Because we had to wake up so early to prepare for our performance this morning at 9am, we were invited to stay overnight at the pastor's apartment. If you don't remember, it takes us about an hour and a half to get to church so in order to get there on time we would have had to wake up at 6:30am to have enough time to get there (leaving an hour to get ready). Additionally, we would've not been able to get a train back to our house last night since the trains generally stop running around midnight.

The pastor lives about two minutes from the church. Around 11:30pm we walked there and were welcomed by one of her roommates. In general, the living conditions here in Japan are generally quite cramped. Amazingly enough, the apartment is about half the size of our (mine and Lauren's) apartment and yet twice as many people live in it. There were three rooms (kitchen and two connected rooms both about 5ft x 7ft each) and a bathroom. Lauren and I were stunned by their ability to store possessions in such an organized and sophisticated looking manner. I was also surprised this morning as I watched our host pick up the futon mattresses (the trademark Japanese bed) and pull out the two, foot tall breakfast tables. As we all knelt around the breakfast table eating sunny-side-up eggs and toast with milk tea honey (it was my first time trying it it), I felt so warm inside. For the first time I can remember while being here I was honestly called "Sheila-chan", which is generally only used when refering to good friends. I'm sure no one else thought anything of it, but I felt a surge of joy flow through my veins and arteries; if that is at all possible considering the fact that it's usually blood that flows through them.

Last night Jenny, Lauren, and I slept on two futons in one of the spare rooms. I was so warm that I woke up in the middle of the night sweating and had to toss off my down blanket. It was cozy and Lauren and I memorized our songs just before nodding off to sleep.

Right now I'm eating the Oreo Dunkers that Mom Hensen sent me in a care-package with some milk. What a brilliant combination. I had some sushi a few hours ago when Lauren, Kozue, Azusa, and I all decided to go walk around Shinjuku. Azusa and I took the train home together and we talked about all sorts of good things.

Today was a good day, but now I have to go clean the bathroom, read Amy Tan for Peggy's lesson on Friday, and make some tea. Oh! I almost forgot to mention that I bought my first
"J-Pop" album today. The band Spitz has been around for a while, but when Harumi brought in their new CD the other day, I decided that I liked their music.

Random Shout-Outs: Thank you Aunt Rita for the card! I received it this past Friday. I can't believe the Buffalo Zoo has two tiger cubs! I'm going to have to take a field trip there next August when I come home.

No comments: