Monday, November 26, 2007

Ririka's Last Day

11.26.07

Yes, a teacher should show an equal amount of care and patience towards each and every student. However important this cardinal rule may be, it is extremely difficult not to become attached to a particular student who exhibits a willingness to learn. As sad as I was to see one of my "favorite" student's leave today, I knew that she would succeed wherever life would take her; in this case, she would be moving to America. I gave her a little going away present (an English Snoopy sticker book with translations in Japanese) and made sure to give her mother my email address in case they needed to get in touch with me, and I really hope they do.

Before class started Ririka handed me a card. She had added her own message that said, "Dear Sheila Thankyouverymuch" and printed her name. Even though it was simple, it was all she needed to say.

I will miss her.

One of my short term students, who had just been staying aboard in Oxford, England with a host family, returned to say hello and show me some pictures from his trip. It was good to see him, and I was surprised to find out that he had brought back some English tea for me! I tried it tonight with dinner and it was very delicious. Thank you Tomohide!

Random Shout-outs: I would like to wish my sister a very Happy 19th Birthday! I hope you enjoy every waking moment because it's your last year as a teenager! <3

4 comments:

Hu said...

Although people say you should show an equal amount of care and patience toward each and every student, we both know that isn't true. Taking a moment to be terribly geeky, living in a world full of exponential distributions tells us that you will probably spend a great deal of time with few students. (Please don't hit me!) I had this happen to me when I taught physics in Bing. It's just easier to cater to students that really want to learn the subject.

SheilaBeila said...

Yes Hu, I totally agree that it is much easier to teach students that are willing to learn! <3 sheilabeila

Anonymous said...

This is a question about Japanese visitor hospitality.
In my Meetings magazines, there are many more ads for vacation stays at traditional Japanese inns, also called Ryokans. Are these like we would call Spas? I would like to know more about these.

mark said...

that's why dylan is my favorite student...



...and he's a mini me