Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Unihotaru

9.26.07
Today’s Japanese adventure took place on Tokyo Bay. Lauren was still feeling under the weather, but I was all ready for Hiroko and Peggy when they came and picked me up at 9:45 this morning. Because it was supposed to be a beautiful day, Hiroko wanted to take Peggy to see Tokyo Bay from Umihotaru (“fireflies at the ocean”). Umihotaru is a man-made pier that juts out into Tokyo Bay. Connected to the pier there is an 9.6 km (5.96 mile) underground tunnel that ends in Yokohama, a city located across the bay. Peggy told me the tunnel and pier were celebrating their ten year anniversary this year, while Hiroko pointed out the actual blade that carved the 9.6 km long underwater tunnel.

If you fallow the line of sight out to the water and across the bay, the tunnel is right below.
The big white semi-circle in the middle is an emergency exit and air duct for the tunnel.

Above is the blade that carved out the tunnel.

A diagram of the pier and underwater tunnel.
Yokohama is on the left side and some city
to the south west of Chiba is on the right (where we were standing).

From the pier I saw some oil refineries, tankers, Chiba (a city south of where my apartment is located), Yokohama, and if it had been a little clearer than Peggy said I could’ve seen Mount Fuji. It was beautiful out on the water, and so peaceful. I forgot how much I love being close to the water.

Hiroko and treated us to a wonderful lunch on the pier. While we at we sat and enjoyed the calmness of Tokyo Bay that surrounded us. There were some really cute statues around the perimeter of the pier that you could sit on so I had to take a picture of Peggy being eaten by a fish chair.

On the way back to school we stopped at a little marina/yacht club and chatted with one of the workers in the little tower near the boats. Peggy and Hiroko asked her about renting a sailboat and how I could go about doing it. When we saw the price (it was expensive), I asked Hiroko and Peggy if they wouldn’t mind asking the women how I would go about volunteering to crew on a boat; this past summer I had the chance to volunteer as a crew member of a sailboat, called Salsa, captained by my neighbor Ed Weiss. Evidently, the best thing I could do was take a test for 1000 yen ($10) at the beginning of October. After hearing this, Peggy put in a good word for me, saying that I was a very nice girl with lots of experience. I didn’t know she was saying this until after she had said it. The lady game me the phone numbers of two people that are in charge of sailing classes for children. I could possibly help with these classes if I passed the test. The lady gave me a flyer for the test, which included what was on it and what would have to be completed to pass. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive at this point. Sure I have sailed and love sailing but I haven’t ever sailed a course before. It makes me nervous thinking about it. Although, Peggy did have a point when she mentioned that sailing would be a great place to make friends and improve my Japanese. For now, this topic is “to be continued”.

Teaching went well today. I had my two classes of girls and as time goes by they are becoming more and more comfortable with me being their teacher. They are beginning to listen to me and to participate more in class. I also had a lesson with Keigo today. SAT prep went very well and I think he learned a lot. At the end of the question he asked me my opinion on the difference between the phrase “Are you hungry?” and “Aren’t you hungry?”. Thinking he was the “omnipotent” master of everything English, his friends had asked him to explain the difference between the two; they did not understand the lesson that was covered in school. It was nice to explain my opinion of what they both meant. Written by themselves they may mean almost the same thing but in the context of a situation (along with intonation) they can take on a very different meaning.

I also studied my hiragana today. I will have a test on the entire chart this coming Sunday. Wish me luck! Lauren Sensei is a stickler and I think she just left the apartment to stop a cat fight outside. She just said, “There will be no cat fights in my neighborhood.” and then left. Now, two minutes later, she is back and has informed me that her mission was successful.

Special Shout Outs: I should also mention that a package filled with goodies arrived today so thanks Mom-o and Papa! The pilgrims from girl scouts were a random addition to our mantle, but they will come in handy when Lauren and I teach the students about different American holidays. I would like to thank everyone for commenting on my blog and keeping in touch with me over the past month I have been here. I can’t even begin to tell you how appreciative I am.

Leah thank you for this link. And yes, Lauren and I have decided to take it into deep consideration when we start planning for our lessons next month.

Last, but most certainly not least, congratulations Sonja on your wedding! What great news!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheila,

I guess anywhere you can go in the world, there is a place to sail, isn't there? And the winds are always going to be different. Is Tokyo Bay the size of Lake Erie or more like Chautauqua? I hope sometime in the next year you will have a chance to get out on the Bay. Ed is curious whether the terms are the same...are they still port and starboard?
Ms. Marg