Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My One Month Anniversary

9.18.07

A month ago, I was boarding my plane in the Chicago airport, buckling myself into an aisle seat, and trying to look somewhat calm as I prepared myself for the adventure I was about to embark on. It is amazing how we, as humans, are able to adapt to the different situations that life brings our way. I hardly feel any different, and yet, I know that I have learned so much over this past month; about myself and about Japanese culture. It is exciting to think that the next eleven months will be filled with even more learning and adapting. Japan is an amazing place filled with incredible things, and as much as I miss home, I am grateful for every passing moment that I spend here.

On a less nostalgic note, I would like to thank Lauren for the little surprise she presented to me today when she walked into work. Lauren, being the 100 yen store queen that she is, decided that she had to pick up some things at our local store branch, which isn’t too far from work. After stopping she headed to work about fifteen minutes before my first lesson. She walked in with a big, yellow plastic bag and a even bigger smile on her face. Then she exclaimed, “I have a surprise for you!” while pulling this out of the plastic bag.

It’s Moomin’s girlfriend! I think she is officially called "The Snork Maiden", but I'll have to get back to you with a more specific name. She had evidently just finished getting some things at the 100 yen store and was on her way out when she spotted this little cutie in the picture above. Knowing how much I love Moomin, she quickly picked her up, turned around, and headed back to the cashier. She said the cashier laughed as she told them she had one more thing to buy. I absolutely loved my surprise because it just makes me giggle to myself every time I look into those big brown eyes. Lauren and I were talking about keeping her at work just to cheer us up after a hard lesson and it actually worked because I got Lauren to smile after her class of crazy boys at 5pm.

My classes went well today. Cross your fingers for the rest of the week! Lauren got a ride home with Hiroko (Lauren’s bike was gone this morning when we woke up so send some good finding vibes our way if you have some spare time.) who mentioned she was very happy with the way our teaching has been going. She was happy we were getting along and trying to collaborate on our lesson plans. If two siblings, who are being taught by two different teachers, are learning the same thing because when they go home there is a better chance that they will want to use what they learned. To hear that from Hiroko was very encouraging because I worry about these things. I want the kids to have fun and learn something at the same time, which is very difficult to accomplish!

Lauren was watching the last episode of her Japanese drama tonight. The name of the drama is “Hanazakari No Kimitachi E” which means “Our Blossoming Men’s Paradise” (or something to that effect as translated by Lauren). It’s about this girl (Mizuki) posing as a boy at a Japanese all boys school in order to help this guy (Sano) that saved her life while he was in the United States. The girl is Japanese but her family lives in California. Even though I had to ask Lauren to translate, I thought the show was funny in a goofy sort of way. TV dramas here in Japan are a bit different from their American counterparts. Rather than going on for seasons and seasons (i.e. The Simpsons), Japanese shows only last one season. This was the last episode and it was two hours long! I’m sure you can guess what happens in the end. Let’s just say it involves a kiss.

The two of us are hanging out before going to bed, eating our American popcorn because Lauren picked up a box of 20 bags at Cost-Co the other day, listening to Big Band Era music like we always do at school, and enjoying life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

europe doesn't really have seasons of shows either.. its generally considered a new series even if the same characters come back. american tv is somewhat unique in that particular respect

-adam