Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bath Bubbles?

9.5.07
“There is a typhoon coming.” Hiroko said to Lauren and I as she took us home from the Shin-Narashino train station last night. We had to make sure our bikes were ok, and because of the rain, we were forced to leave them at the station rather than riding them home at 9pm in the pouring rain. We were unable to lock them up in the bike parking lot so we had to risk leaving them under the cover of a store in the same plaza as the station. The typhoon is due to hit us this Friday and last until next Tuesday. For you in “The States”, that’s your Thursday night. But please don’t worry! All that means is lots of rain for the little plants on my porch. They will be happy; therefore, I will be happy too.

After all that commotion last night, Lauren and I got up early (about 7:15am) to fetch our dear little bikes from the train station. Hiroko picked us up at 8:30am and we were off to the onsen (Japanese bathhouse) near the ocean. It is somewhere in Tokyo Bay on the opposite side as Yokohama. We weren’t really sure of the cities exact name.

I was a little apprehensive about going to a bathhouse. In America, society places a very different standard on showing your bear body. However, the bath was hot and very relaxing. The water in the bath was from a hot spring and due to mineral deposits, it was iodine in color. There were actually two baths. One inside and one outside with tinted windows that allowed you to look out onto the ocean. Afterwards, we met back up with Peggy and her mother and ate some lunch.

We went out to the farmers market next to the bath house and talked to the locals. Lauren acted as my translator, but I could pick up “America” and nodded my head because from clues like that it was easy for me to figure out what they were asking. Lauren ate some momo kakigori (peach slushy) while I drank my bottle of ramune. The man who sold it to us explained to Lauren that he had lived in New York City for six months and wanted to go back. The workers were all so kind and welcoming! Lauren and I bought some Asian pears (nashi) and some peanuts because they were a really good price. Cold nashi is so good!

Hiroko almost fell asleep as we drove home because she was so relaxed from the bath. We had to stop at ma-ku-dal-na-nu-do (MacDonalds) to get some coke so she wouldn’t fall asleep at the wheel. We made it home safely and had about two hours before our 4pm lessons started.

Lauren and I both realized that we share a mutual love for the comic Mutts. Who would’ve thought!?

9.6.07

Today was much windier and tomorrow morning the typhoon is due to be right over our little city. Rain is coming down in sheets and I don’t have a raincoat! Eep! Yesterday at school Lauren asked her kids “What do you mix?” and one student replied “I mix Japan!”. Haha…

Lauren is making lime Jello that she sent herself from America. The Japanese are crazy about jelly-like substances but they do not have Jello. I haven’t had “jello” here, but Lauren says that it’s harder and has less flavor. Speaking of Jello,

Lauren (L) and I (S) miss (mostly food):
Gushers (both)
Pull and Peel Twizlers (both)
Cheez-its (both)
Ruffles (L)
tortilla chips (both)
fountain Coke (L)
Hoho’s (L)
Snyder’s Pretzels (S)

linoleum floors (L)
Shower heads (S)
doors with handles (both)
central air (both…we’re spoiled)
tall fridges (both)
root beer (S)
butter knives (both)
skim milk (both)
high fructose corn syrup (L - they don’t have this in Japan!)
the silence when walking into a store (both)
having one choice of green tea (“there’s a green tea for your every mood” – Lauren)

Lauren and I don’t miss:
tipping in restaurants (both)
manual doors (both – they’re all automatic here)
driving/paying for gas (both)
To be continued…

While watching the news today Lauren and I learned about some eco-friendly building solutions. In Chikoku, the smallest of Japan’s four islands, goya plants were placed along the windows of an office building in order to reduce the cost of cooling the structure. A goya plant looks like a bumpy cucumber and it grows on a vine. The vine grew and quickly covered the window; saving the business about $4,000 USD over three months. Many of the offices customers have also admitted a reduction of stress because of the green colored windows; the color green is not as hard on the eyes.

For some laughs check out The Human Tetris Game Show on Youtube. Hilarious! There was also another Japanese game show that Lauren showed me. The contestants dress up as bugs, in tight spandex costumes, and have to jump with a pogo stick onto a big stump. The height of the stump increases as they complete each jump. When they don’t make it, a lady dressed as a spider comes out on stage, eats some natto (fermented soy bean that is the consistency of a “snail’s trail”), and blows the disgusting smelling stuff in the loser’s face using a clear plastic tube. So weird!

Check these:
1. Japanese Drinks
2. Japanese Gadgets




Special notes:
Margene, to answer your question about how often I see people wearing kimonos here in Japan. To be honest, I have only seen a few people wearing kimonos. I once saw a 50 year old woman wearing one on the train and I have also seen people (all ages) wearing them because they are going to or are already at a festival. Other than that, they are reserved for special occasions like weddings.

Stephanie, I’ll try my best to post my pictures on Pisca too. I’m sorry!

1 comment:

Kate said...

sheila, i can't tell you how much i love your blog! you want me to send you some snyder's pretzels? i love them too :)
i'm glad you're safe! that typhoon had us worried. i always knew you were indestructable!