Friday, October 5, 2007

Thank Goodness It's Friday

10.5.07

Don't worry, I'm daijobu (ok)! I've been very busy this past week and I haven't had time to post as much as I wanted to. Today was my last day of teaching before my five day long break. Lauren and I will be going to Nikko on Sunday and we are both really excited to get out of the area around Tokyo. We need the break and fresh air!

Today between my 11am lesson and 4pm lesson I walked around Kaihin Makuhari; basically making a really big loop that ended in the park. I stopped and looked in the windows of shops as I passed by on the street. I saw a few that looked really interesting: a tea shop down the street from school, a rival English school, a little florist, and some others. I should also mention that the shop right down the street, that reminds me of a G rated Spencer's Gifts, is chocked full of Moomin memorabilia. I'm going to have to go back and buy myself a present sometime. I walked through the park and stopped to pick up a green foam ball for a mother that was playing baseball with her little 7 year old son (most fathers were still working at this time of day). She said "arigato gozaimus" while bowing. I returned her bow before walked over to lean against a shady tree and write some letters. It was relaxing to sit there in the shade and listen to the kids playing and the birds singing. It was a beautiful day today-the perfect temperature. A little beetle with an orange head was chilling with me too. He gave me some advice while I was writing my letters.

Tonight we (Harumi, Lauren, and I) treated Hiroko to dinner for her birthday, which was today. You should've seen her face when Lauren snatched the receipt from out of her hand just before she had a chance to read it. She was very grateful, and we were happy to have had the chance to do something for her in return for all she has done for us.

I will post some pictures from this week tomorrow. I promise.

Random Shout Outs: Thank you Alex Korting for your French post card. Also, thank you Jon Newman for your post card. I was unaware that Stone Mountain is known for having the largest exposed mountain face (granite) in the world. That's very impressive! To everyone else, I wish you all the best!

No comments: