Monday, October 22, 2007

The Funabashi Fish Market is Fantastic!

10.18.07

Today I went to the Funabashi Fish Market with Hiroko. She wanted to show me the market and we also wanted to look into getting some candy for the Halloween Party. Besides being a place selling a diverse collection of fish, there are many merchants selling bulk food items, which is very important for the local restaurants. I saw many stalls that specialized in selling one thing: pickled ginger, eggs, different wrapping, nori seaweed, meat, candy, dishes, and much more. We stopped into the last two. We bought some donut-like-crackers that we could use for Halloween games (you have to eat the cracker without using your hands as it dangles on a string) and some other candies with a picture of Pikachu on them. We also stopped in the dish shop to look at the teapot sets. Hiroko spoke to a older lady, who then spoke to a younger man who was the "guy in charge". As the we waited the lady kindly poured us some green tea. The "guy in charge" gave me a huge, 2 inch thick teapot catalog to look through. He let me take it home too.

I don't think I've ever gotten that kind of hospitality before.


The man in the picture above is skinning eel that is then smoked on the grills behind him. He was amazingly fast at his work; Hiroko and I could only watch in awe.


Puffer fish!

Here in Japan, conservation of space is a necessity, even when you park your car. In my opinion the parking lots here are much more high-tech. You pull your car in, get out, and your car is lifted to a specific spot inside; I'd imagine that the machinery is similar to that of a ferris wheel. When you want to leave, the man brings your car down, backs it up onto the red circle, you get in, and then the red circle turns your car around so you can pull out onto the street with ease.

No comments: