Monday, July 21, 2008

Shirakansu

7.21.08

Today, Umi no Hi (Ocean Day), was a public holiday in Japan. It wasn't especially busy at school since many of my students must have been spending the day with their families. Of the 11 students I taught today, about 6 of them showed up for class. At times I enjoy the smaller classes like these because they allows me to spend a little more time with each student.

Anyway, I wanted to explain the title and purpose for writing this blog entry. A few entries ago, I mentioned that my name (shi-i-ra) is also the Japanese word for Mahi-Mahi--a Hawaiian fish. When I mentioned this realization to my two Japanese friends, Yuma and Kyoko, on Saturday night they were surprised to hear this fact. They had only heard of an ancient fish called Shi-i-ra-kan-su. I had a feeling I knew what they were talking about but I only just remembered to look it up.

So it turns out that I am also named after the Coelacanth fish. According to Wikipedia, they were thought to be extinct until one was found in South Africa in 1938. Wikipedia also says that the average length and width of a Coelacanth fish found in the West Indian Ocean is about 176 pounds and 6.5 ft respectively. The most recent siting was as recent as 2006 when this fish was mistakenly caught of the coast of Tanzania in a net intended to catch sharks.


No comments: