Sunday, July 20, 2008

Le Coquillage & The Marines

7.19.08

Today I woke up early to get to school on time. I was scheduled to teach six classes in a row so I had to make sure I arrived to school early enough to prepare. Today marked the last official day of parent open house. The whole past week mothers and fathers were allowed to visit our school during their child's class. Throughout the week, Lauren and I were a little nervous--we wanted to leave a good impression with the parents--but luckily, there were no complaints! Overall, I'm really quite proud of all my students. My six lessons when by quickly and I was off to Kagurazaka to meet my two friends, Kyoko and Yuma, for dinner. It was a great way to end to a busy day.


Our dinner reservation wasn't scheduled until 6:30pm so we decided to get something to drink at this tiny little cafe called "Muginaru". The inside was so small but as Yuma would say it had "such a good feeling". I ordered "Flower Banquet" iced tea, Yuma ordered iced "Feel Relax" and Kyoko ordered ice green tea. We let each other have a taste; they were all so refreshing and flavorful.

Kyoko and Yuma bought some of the cafe's homemade manju. Manju is a small bread cake filled with different types of things such as: anko (sweet red bean paste) and cheese. The cafe staff was so funny and kept joking around with us. I also noticed a cute little gray, striped cat that wandered in and out of the cafe. Many of the guest in the cafe stopped to give him a pat on the head; he must have been content with his residence.

In this picture, Kyoko and Yuma (from left to right) are getting ready to eat. After leaving Muginaru, we headed to a small French restaurant called Le Coquillage (shell in French) just in time to make our 6:30pm reservation. I would like to thank Kyoko for making the reservation! The atmosphere of the restaurant was calming and slow paced which gave the three of us lots of time in between courses to chat about life--hopes, ideas, worries, and close friends.

Yuma & I (Sorry, this picture is a tad blurry.)

My meal consisted of three courses and a drink (I ordered hot tea.). This is my first course: Salade de St. Jacque Nicoles. Field greens were served topped with shrimp, tuna, and smoked scallops.

My second course: egg and cheese complete with tomato.

For my third course: dessert crepe lightly drizzled with nutella, chocolate hazelnut spread.

Yuma eyes here nutella crepe. "I'm already so full!", she says.

Kyoko is about to dig into her apricot crepe.

Kagurazaka is a very old Japanese district in Tokyo. It has a large French corridor as well as many old Japanese shops. Kyoko explained that there is a summer long festival in this area. This could possibly be the reason for the lanterns lining the narrow street in this picture.


7.20.08

Lauren's father was visiting Japan on business and offered to take Lauren, Ryoji and I to a Chiba Lotte Marines game. The game started at 1pm but we decided to meet a little before then so we could walk around and find our seats before the stadium became too crowded. Thanks to Mr. Oneil, our seats top notch--just a little to the right of home plate.

The Chiba Lotte Marines Stadium Main Entrance

Ryochan says "Hello!". It was so hot in the direct sun shine but everyone kept cool with their Marines neck towels. Don't worry, we made sure to wear lots of sunscreen. :)

Mr. Oneil & Lauren

In Japan, draft beer comes to you (Yeibisu, Sapporo, Kirin, Asahi). I didn't order any but I could imagine these girls had a very difficult and hot job--walking up all those steps in the hot sun.


Warming Up

Lucky 7th Inning Fan-fair


Jose Ortiz (Number 4) of the Marines

The final score: Chiba Lotte Marines 16, Saitama Seibu Lions 0. Although they lost this game, the Lions had won the previous games in the weekend series.

Congratulations Chiba Lotte Marines!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

beer comes to you at the San Antonio Missions minor league baseball games in Texas!! ;-)