Sunday, June 1, 2008

Swordfish & Mix CD Potlucks

5.31.08

Ryo-chan made Lauren and I a deliciously scrumptious dinner tonight! From what I understand, he used to cook quite often but for some reason he stopped. Recently, he has gotten back into the habit and I have been lucky enough to step in as a student of this ever so humble sensei.

Our dinner: horenso (spinach), miso shiro (miso soup) with potatoes and tofu, gohan (rice) and tenderly cooked swordfish. Everything was very good.


6.1.08

It is officially rainy season in Japan and for the past few days it has been rainy and cloudy. It seemed like the weather would go on like this indefinitely until today. It turned out to be a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky; a perfect day for a potluck in Yoyogi Koen (Yoyogi Park). The potluck included the stipulation that you not only had to bring food but also some music to share--in the form of a mix CD. Everyone brought a CD and took home a different one filled with all sorts of new music. I should also mention that a great deal of the people who attended the potluck are either musicians or general lovers of music.

I met up with my friend Kyoko in Tsudanuma and we made our way into Tokyo. Even thought the entire journey took me about two hours one way, it was well worth the trip. I ended up meeting lots of new people, listening to music and getting a CD filled with refreshing new music. Despite all the people I didn't know, I managed to randomly selected my friend Kate's CD. My friend David acquired my CD and I hope he likes it. As far as food goes, I made and brought the avocado and cucumber salad Ryoji showed me how to make; everyone seemed to like it.

Tony made this flier for the potluck.

The collaged cover of my mix CD.

It made me laugh to see a fish tank inside the station. I wonder who was the first person to put it there, why it was there in the first place, what the fish's names were and who fed them on a daily basis.

Yuma made onegiri (rice balls)! They were very yummy. :)

A pile of mix CD's.

Yuma brought Cheez-its that she bought while visiting her brother who lives in New Jersey. I haven't had Cheez-its in so long. They tasted like America, if that is possible.

From left to right: Katherine, David, ? and Yoichi.

Kyoko, Yoichi and I

The Skateboarding Dog

Friends and music go well together.

I always think of my grandmother whenever I see a kazoo.

"Greece-ers" performing at the entrance to Yoyogi Koen.

No comments: