Friday, May 16, 2008

Interesting Robots

5.16.08

Japan is known for being one of the most technologically advanced nations. With that said, I have been reading and thinking about robots quite a lot lately. I found an article about Honda's (Honda is a Japanese company) ASIMO robot to discuss with with one of my older students. ASIMO recently appeared as a guest conductor for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

My good friend Jon Newman introduced me to another robot that was developed by Boston Dynamics--a MIT spin-off company. One of the most remarkable things this robot is able to do is to stabilize itself. We often take this type of behavior for granted, but being able to steady yourself in mid fall involves an incredibly integrated system of neurological and muscular control.



I wonder if we will ever have robots like Rosie Jetson in our lifetime.

1 comment:

Lo.DePuy said...

I think we are pretty close to the robot era...

maybe in the next 20 years? ;)

thanks for the awesome vid sheila!!

<3 Lappy/Mari-chan