Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013: The Year of...

1.9.13

On the first day of each new year, my good friend Shelley declares a yearly theme for us to wonder about, discuss, and maybe even help to catalyze some personal change in our lives.  Last year's theme was 'The Year of Cups' and I should admit that I didn't really take it to heart.  Mostly, I just thought of cups as a means to get together with people, to stay warm, and to nourish myself.  Maybe Shelley could say more if I interviewed her about it.  She also took many pictures of cups, which I'm sure have sentimental value.  Anyway, enough of 2012.

With some help from her friends, Shelley decided that the theme of 2013 would be 'The Year of Happiness'.  To overcome my lackluster participation in 2012's theme, I'm going to try to think and do a little more to make this yearly theme worthwhile to myself and others.

I met up with a good friend of mine, Ashley, today at the library cafe for lunch.  During our conversation she told me about a saying one of her family members had told her.  Ashley said, 'the key to being happy is having each of the following: something to give you purpose, something to love, and something to hope for'.  Without any one of these you begin to feel out of balance.  I liked this and thought it was definitely appropriate to share.  With Google's help, I found a similar quote by the 18th Century Scottish writer Alexander Chalmers, but it doesn't have the same gusto as Ashley's version.

May your 2013 be filled with happiness!

No comments: