Monday, January 3, 2011

Helpful NY Times Articles (on Money and Love)

1.3.11

I found several of the articles in the New York Times series, 'A Sustainable Life' very interesting. I really liked the article that helps readers overcome the inevitable pitfalls of budgeting. Finance reporter Tara Siegal Bernard recommends the free budgeting software on mint.com for those of us that need a little help.

I also enjoyed reading the article 'The Happy Marriage is the "Me" Marriage'. No, I'm not thinking specifically about marriage, but I do believe the principles discussed in this article apply to any valuable relationship. We want to learn from each other, and when this doesn't happen, we no longer feel compelled to contribute. On the surface, yes, it does sound counterintuitive to think 'the best [relationships] are those that bring satisfaction to the individual'. However, evolutionarily speaking, this makes perfect sense. By learning new things (or seeing the world from someone else's perspective), we are better prepared to survive given a diverse set of situations.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I use mint.com! It definitely helps you see where your money is going and how to better allocate your resources. I definitely recommend it...especially since it's free.

Unknown said...

I totally dig the self-expansion concept... it's true!