Sunday, January 31, 2010

Me Chalkbag, Yarr

1.17.10

Christine and I were at Eastern Mountain Sports the other day trying to pick her out a pair of climbing shoes when we had a brilliant idea.

Me: Christine, these chalk bags are sort of expensive.
Christine: Yeah, I know. They don't look that hard to make.
Me: Do you really think we could make them?
Christine: Yeah! I have a sewing machine!

And so it began. I found a really awesome website with step-by-step directions on how to make a chalk bag. It was lots of fun and we are both so proud to use our hand-made bags. Not to mention, having chalk makes it much easier to climb. Chalk is especially helpful when you start to slip off the rock/hold because it dries up the moisture on your hands.

Christine and I with our chalk bags. Here's is the plaid one, mine is the black in the middle, and the last one we made for our lab mate Christian.

When you pull the drawn string it looks like a bunny.

I choose girly skull and cross bones fleece for my chalk bag liner. The skulls have bows and heart shaped eye sockets.

You can either use chalk in stick form or powdered form. Most times, powdered chalk is stored in a 'sock' that dispenses the chalk when you squeeze it. If you look inside my back you will see the little sock of chalk that Christine and I also made.

The finished product! All I need is a carabiner to clip this onto a harness.

No comments: