Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Paella

12.25.08

This past week, I scoured my cookbooks for an appropriate Christmas Eve dinner recipe. I wanted to try something new, something I had never made before. I remembered last year while I was in Japan, my good friend Ryoji made Lauren and I a flavorful dish called paella (say "pa-eh-ya") that was first developed in Valencia, Spain. According to Wikipedia.com, paella is traditionally made with "white rice, meat, seafood, beans, and vegetables". Basically, you saute the vegetables, add the rice into the skillet, and then add in the broth. The dish is finished when all the water has been absorbed and/or boiled off. Ryoji's recipe was seafood based because he had to worry about me, an only seafood eater.

Inspired by Ryoji, I decided to make paella for my family. We both were a little anxious about it: I wasn't sure if it would turn out and they hadn't ever tried it before. In the end my dish turned out very good and I include shrimp and variety of vegetables (peas, broccoli, asparagus, onion, garlic, mushrooms, artichokes, and peppers).

Paella

This paella is ready to eat.

Fruit Tart from Wegmans

Mitzu is sitting in a basket of warm laundry. This is his favorite pastime on cold days.

No comments: