Thursday, September 4, 2008

Just Something Small

9.4.08

I've been really enjoying my time spent here in Atlanta, Georgia. During the day the temperature is a moderate 80-85 degrees F and the sky is a vibrant shade of blue with a few fluffy clouds scattered here and there. At night the temperature drops to the mid-60's, which is really refreshing and perfect for playing frisbee. Jon and I have been throwing a frisbee around quite a bit recently, almost every day to be exact. He taught me how to throw underhand! Let's just say that I still need a little practice but I'm getting much better as the days go by.

In the entry I also wanted to mention this funny little tidbit that my dear German friend, Alex, pointed out to me in July. I don't think I stated this in my previous blog entry where I talked about Alex's trip to Berlin to see Mr. Obama speak so I will mention it now.

When Alex was in Berlin this past July to see Mr. Obama, he noticed some buttons (pins) for sale emulating the title of President Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" ("I'm a citizen of Berlin") speech when he came to West Berlin in 1963 to speak against Communism. Alex explained to me why this was a notable observation. Little did President Kennedy know that having said "ein Berliner" he was really telling everyone "I'm a jelly donut.". All he had to do was drop the "ein".

Thanks Alex! :)

No comments: