Friday, September 19, 2008

Jelly Fish, Sea Dragons and Whale Sharks OH MY!

9.19.08

I have been back from visiting Jon Newman in Atlanta, Georgia for almost two weeks and today was the first day I had a chance to think about posting the remaining pictures from my trip. The following were taken during my visit to the Georgia Aquarium.

According to Wikipedia, the Georgia Aquarium is "the world's largest aquarium" and has "more than 8.1 million US gallons (31,000 m³) of marine and fresh water housing more than 100,000 animals of 500 different species". I was surprised to find out that the Georgia Aquarium is even larger than the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa, Japan.

The entrance to the Georgia Aquarium.

Beluga Whales

This "Human Diver Fish" is cleaning the Beluga tank.

The Cownose Rays felt slimy. I also had the opportunity to feel a sea anemone and learned humans are not effected by their sting because our skin is too thick.

Turtle

I'm not entirely sure what this fish is called but they were very interesting to watch. It appeared as if they were hardly trying to swim; their fins were not moving.

Weedy Sea Dragon*

According to the sign, this Japanese Spider Crab's legs can grow up to 13 feet long in the wild.

Elephant Fish*

Here is some information about the aquarium's largest tank.

Looking Up at a Whale Shark

This picture was taken from the walking tunnel underneath the aquarium's largest tank.

I took this picture to get a sense of the scale of the main viewing window. However, the height of the tank is twice as large as shown in this picture.

Jon and I showed up just in time to see the marine biologists feeding the whale sharks. Contrary to the popular notion of sharks, whale sharks are harmless due to the fact that their esophagus is as big around as a quarter. They were being fed cut up shrimp and shrimp in addition to krill and nutrition gel. I enjoyed watching them open their big four feet wide mouths while gallons and gallons of water rushed in to fill it up.

Fish-Eye Portal

Moon Jellies*

Jelly Fish (Sea Nettle?)*

Garden Eels^

Hairy Otter

Jon and I

Jon, his housemates, and I all ate dinner together the last night of my stay. I made vegetarian chili and biscuits for them! From right to left: Nate, Keith, me and Jon.


Whenever I have a chance to see them in an aquarium, I am thoroughly mesmerized by a jelly fish's swimming pattern.


Moon Jelly



Sea Nettle (maybe?)


* Indicates Sheila's favorite
^ Indicates Jon's favorite

2 comments:

alikins said...

absolutely GORGEOUS pictures, sheila! ada and i got to walk through a tunnel through a shark tank at the barcelona aquarium, and it was pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

so. cool.
!