Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Final Japan Adventures

PreNote: I apologize for taking my time in posting this final blog entry on my Japanese adventures. It's quite long but I have tried to include as many pictures (and explanations) as I can.

My favorite past time is eating gelato: matcha, apricot stone tofu (This is still an enigma to me), and tiramisu. :)


8.2.08

Lauren and I rushed out of work and headed to Disney's Mihama station. The plan was not to head to Disney but rather we were meeting up with several of our friends for our Farewell Dinner at the Rainforest Cafe just outside the park's entrance. Everyone showed up on time and we all walked to the restaurant together. The waitress sat us at a large table right in them middle of the restaurant and directly underneath the rain forest sky. Just in case you have never been to Rainforst Cafe, I will explain why the sky is so atypical. About every 30 to 45 minutes it begins to turn various shades of purple and rain can be heard from all around. Then suddenly the sky flashes with lightning and are accompanied by great loud crashes of thunder that fill the restaurant with the sounds of a rain forest storm. It's really quite exciting.

We had lots of time to chat as we tried to eat most of the food that we order. Lauren and Ryoji had told the staff it was my birthday, so they carried out a big dessert while shouting "Happy Birthday". It was a great surprise but the surprises didn't end there. The second surprise came when I ended up sitting directly behind one of my English students and her family.

Lauren and I at our Rainforest Cafe Farwell Dinner.

At the party: Yuriko, Sayako, Aya, Moemi, Kyoko, Ryoji, Lauren and I

We decided to order this instead of the gigantic volcano cake. Let's just say that it was still plenty of dessert!

8.3.08

The next day Lauren, Ryoji, Julia (Lauren's mother) and I all went to the Moomin Cafe. After finding out that Moomin was my all time favorite Japanese character, Ryoji suggested that we go to the cafe. He had never been there but had heard about it through a friend. The place was so interesting and had a really calming atmosphere. It was just like I imagined the atmosphere of Moomin's house to be like.

On the way to the Moomin Cafe, I couldn't help but stop to ogle at this cute billboard for taco yaki (octopus in fried balls of batter).

If you are wondering what a Moomin troll looks like, here I am standing by Moomin and his love; her name is Snorkmaiden.

The Moomin Cafe Menu

"Hello! My name is Moomin!", he exclaims in his cute troll voice.

The inside of the cafe is decorated just as I would've imagined.

Each meal on the menu was associated with one of the characters. Those with a big appetite could order Moomin Papa's lunch while those with a smaller stomach might find Moomin Mama's lunch more appropriate. There were many other choices as well.

Snorkmaiden sitting in front of a picture of Moomin and Shufkin.

Ryoji says, "Even the silverware has Moomin on it!".

This was all that was left of my salmon and onion quiche; it also came with a side salad. :)

You could even purchase Moomin desserts like this new roll.

After finishing up lunch at the cafe, Lauren's mother asked if we could all go shopping in the ever popular Odaiba (to the south of Tokyo station on Tokyo Bay). To get to Odaiba you have to take the Urikomome line over the Tokyo Rainbow Bridge. The view of Tokyo Bay from the train is amazing. Here, Lauren and Ryoji are enjoying the ride.

Lauren and I posing by the Venus Fort fountain. Venus Fort is major shopping plaza located in Odaiba.

As Lauren and I were heading to the Tsudanuma station bus stop (we were on our way home), we heard these Taiko drum players and decided to stop to watch.


8.6.08

My mother and sister were supposed to arrive the previous night but due to severe weather conditions in and around Chicago their flight was delayed until the following day. Hiroko and I had planned to take them to the Tsukiji Fish Market bright and early this morning but we had to go by ourselves.

I woke up around 3:30 am and met Hiroko outside my apartment at 4am. We headed to the station to catch the first train. We arrived so early I had a chance to see the station masters open the station; it had been closed since midnight of the previous evening. We took the train to Tsukiji station and walked around the fish market until we found the tuna auctions. To get there we had to weave in and out of stalls selling a wide variety of sea creatures, many of which, I had never seen before. Forklifts also zoomed through the narrow isles forcing us to move or else be trampled. During the auctions, tourists are not allowed beyond a certain point but you can watch Japanese men in high rubber boots argue about the price of a fish. They cut off the tails to see the quality of the meat. Some of the tuna go for millions of dollars if the quality is good enough! Not long after we had reached the auction (by this time it was around 5am), the bell signaling its end sounded loud and clear. Some fisherman hung around for a while after the bell had sounded while others pushed out their prizes on huge carts.

Tuna Auctioneers

The Tuna (It was about as long, if not longer, than me.)



8.7.08

My mother and my sister finally arrived last night so I was able to take them into Tokyo today. Since both of them wanted to see some museums, I thought the best place to take them would be Ueno because there are so many museums there. We walked around the Ueno Park for a bit and then I lead them to the Tokyo National Musuem. I was disappointed I couldn't go inside with them but I had lessons to teach on the other side of Tokyo.

Here is Sarah standing in front of lotus plants at Ueno Park. There were so many in the pond that the water was no longer visible.

8.8.08

After the baby class at 11am, Sakai-san and Kawabata-san gave a special performance for Lauren, Julia, me, my mother, my sister and Hiroko. Sakai-san acted out a Japanese story/poem about a mother crow and her chicks. As soon as she put them to sleep, one of the chicks would eventually wake up all the rest. We couldn't help but laugh as we eagerly watched her act out the story. Next was Nakamura-san who played violin for us. She was so talented; to be a former member of the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra you have to be. She played four or five pieces for us: a classical piece by Bach, a Japanese piece, one that I was not familiar with and the last one was a violin rendition of Glenn Miller's most famous work. Her playing elicited a wide range of emotions and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sakai-san is acting out the story of the mother crow and her chicks.

Here is Kawabata-san with her violin.

My sister and mother came to watch the performance too.


8.10.08

Ever since I learned about it last winter (2007), I have been wanting to go to the Studio Gibli Museum. What makes this museum so special you ask? Studio Gibli is home to one of the most famous Japanese animators in the world, Hayao Miyazaki and others. Many times, Miyazaki is referred to as "Japan's Walt Disney". The museum, located near Mitaka station (the western edge of Tokyo), is a tribute to his studio's movies and productions. Some of his most famous movies are Spirited Away (in America) and Totoro (in Japan). Recently, I posted a blog on his most recent release: Ponyo. Since then I have also had a chance to see Howl's Moving Castle (I strongly recommend watching it.).

This is a little off topic, but I enjoyed listening to these bells in Mitaka station.

Admission to the museum is strictly controlled. We were scheduled to enter at 12pm thanks to the tickets Ryoji obtained for us from YahooAuction.com. Here we are waiting in Starbucks before our scheduled time: Sarah, Julia, Lauren, Ryoji, Debbie.

This is the public city bus that took us to the musuem. It was decorated with Miyazaki animations!

Thank you bus driver!

The museum looked like we had slipped into a Miyazaki movie. I was so excited to see as much of it as I could.

This is a giant statue of the robots from Castle in the Sky.

:) Cheese!

Sarah Jane was so surprised.
Looking up at Lauren and Julia.

Looking down at Sarah, Debbie (Mom) and me.

After going to the museum and walking around Mitaka for a while we met up to eat dinner with Julia's host family and some additional friends. If you are a little confused, I will try to explain. When Lauren was in high school, she and her mother came to Japan and each stayed with a different host family. I met Julia's host sisters: Yuko (older) and Motomi (younger) as well as Mr. Nakamura, Julia's host father. Besides this family, Lauren's old Japanese teacher, Kanako, was also able to join us for the meal. We met up at a very nice French restaurant in Shinjuku, which is only a few Chuo line train stops from Mitaka station. Julia and Lauren were very happy to see their friends before going back to America.

From Left to Right: Kanako, Yuko, Motomi, Mr. Nakamura, Julia, Ryoji, Lauren, me, Deborah and Sarah Jane

Ryoji doing his famous "kani face" while Lauren smiles unknowingly at the camera. :)

Kanako, Yuko, Motomin and Mr. Nakamura

The Saia Sisters in Japan: Sarah and I


8.11.08

Today I made my mother and my sister wake up really early so that we could take a day tour of Mount Fuji and Hakone by bus. Conveniently, the tour was also in English.

Mount Fuji from the Bus

Backpackers at Level 5 (the summit is level 10)

Mount Fuji shrine entrance at Level 5

Mount Fuji shrine at Level 5

Mount Fuji

Mount Fuji is only open to climbers for two months out of the entire year: July and August. Climbers swarm to the mountain while they still can.

Mount Fuji Mountain Road

Strange but beautiful flowers along the road.

On the tour we had a traditional Japanese lunch. Sarah is trying as much of it as she can. Let's just say she made funny faces quite often.

My mother was sure to show me how well she could use her chopsticks.

For lunch: rice, greens and soy cakes, miso soup, tempura vegetables, pickles, and summer oden. We could wash it all down with a glass of hot tea.

Sarah Snoozing on the Bus

The next stop was the Hakone rope way overlooking Lake Ashi.

Lake Ashi is to the right of this picture.

At the top of the rope way was a little shrine.

It was very foggy at the top of the rope way.

Debbie (Mom)

The Rope Way Building

My mother and sister sat next to one another on the bus and I sat next to a stranger who I quickly found out was a very nice stranger. (Name)

A Half-Hitch

Shrine on Lake Ashi


8.13.08

My final day in Japan has finally come! I was full of mixed feelings, wanting to leave but also wanting to stay.

Hiroko and I

Sarah Jane, Debbie (Mom) and I

Me, Hiroko and Ottoosan (Masahiro)

"Sayonara uchi!" ("Goodbye home!")

1 comment:

Lo said...

Well that was like a whole range of emotions for me alllllll over again. I took some pics--- hehe

miss my rooooomie!