Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Winter Break Episode 2

December 26th –January 4th
My dear friend Jonny Newman arrived right on schedule (about 3pm). Before leaving the airport, we stopped into the Japan Rail (JR) Office to pick up his JR pass and our Shinkansen (the bullet train) tickets to Kyoto. We were helped by a very nice Japanese man who spoke English very well. And to think, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find someone to help us! After getting all of the paperwork completed, we had a chance to chat during the one hour train ride back to Tsudanuma station. From the station, we took a taxi to my apartment. I was excited that I managed to do all of this by myself since Lauren was away with Hiroko enjoying a nice dip in the steamy hot water of the onsen by the sea. To make a long story short, we got back to my apartment and the very next day began Jon's guided tour (by me and some other friends) of Tokyo.

Jon standing under the entrance to the Meiji Shrine in Harajuku.

Tokyo Tower

Me with one of the Noppon Twins at the Tokyo Tower. For more information and stats about the tower click on this link.

Looking through the floor windows on the main observatory floor definitely led to the notion that you were defying the physical laws of nature.

If Jon learned one thing while he was here, it would have something to do with this popular little bug: oshiri kagiri mushi (bug that bites your butt). Just about everyone here in Japan knows about him. I would even go as far to say that Jon embarrassed me when he sang the catchy tune as loudly as he could in the middle of the Tsudanuma train station.

This is a perfect shot of the Shinkansen (bullet train) that travels over 300 km/hr. We left Tokyo on the morning of Dec. 28th and returned from Kyoto on the 30th. During our stay it was rather rainy but luckily we had umbrellas!

Mt. Fuji from the window of the Shinkansen.

View from the Kyoto station. You can see Kyoto Tower on your right.

While on our way to the Sanzen-in and Hosen-in temples, we saw this little kitty-cat. His owner was a vendor selling/making the wire leaves that are attached to his collar.

We took a bus to Ohara (NE of Kyoto city) in order to see Hosen-in temple that my student Maki told me about it. Inside was a 700 year old tree and the ceiling of part of the tea room was made from old floor paneling that had been stained with samari blood. The English excerpt we received on entering the temple said that you could see the hands and faces of the soldiers. It also mentioned that the top of the 700 year old tree is meant to look like Mt. Fuji. Admission to the temple also included matcha tea (a very strong green tea made from a powder) and a sweet dessert made from mochi (rice paste) and sweet red beans.

The entrance way to the temple is supposed to look like a photograph; even the frame is included.

The next temple, Sanzen-in temple had roughly 16,000 of these Budda statues.
One of the most famous temples in Kyoto is Kinjakuji or The Golden Pavilion (to your left). It is completely covered in gold foil.

Geishas in Gion

No Smoking!

According to Jon, chocolate and Spikes go very well together.

Two boys working very hard (Minsoo and Jon).

New Year's Eve dinner

Minsoo and Lauren in the giant ferris wheel at Kasairinkaikoen.

New Year's crowds at the Asaksa shrine.

I have never seen so many people in my life.

Lauren, me, and Minsoo at the Asakusa shrine.

Jon and I at the Asakusa shrine.

Lauren and I took Jon and Minsoo to our favorite sushi place in Shinjuku. While we were there we decided to be brave and try uni (sea urchin), which is a Japanese delicacy. In our (Lauren, Jon, and I) opinion, it tasted like pool water. Yuck!

We also went to Akihabara with Azusa, which is known for being the technology hot spot of Tokyo. I was amazed at all the game arcades full of people intensely playing all sorts of video games; from large rooms full of people involved in multi-player games to single player games enclosed in clear plastic bubbles. Besides all of the new technology and game arcades, many anime lovers gather in Akihabara. Specifically, these people are commonly referred to as Otaku.

By the end of the trip, I believe Jon had a basic understanding of life in Japan and had seen (according to my Lonely Planet Travel Book of Japan) two of the most important cities in Japan. While in Tokyo he saw a majority of the must see areas including: Harijuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Kaihimakuhari (my school), and some other various locations. I wanted to take him to Odaiba, but we didn't have enough time. He will just have to come back again, right!?

Random Shout Outs: Thank you Jon for letting me post some of your pictures!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheila~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

kukukukukuku^^

Hu said...

You have a good eye for perspectives in your photos! Jon looks as lovely as ever =)

SheilaBeila said...

Thank you for your compliments and for making me laugh! <3 sheilabeila