Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Japan and UFO's

12.19.07

Lauren found this article in Daily Yomirui (a Japanese newspaper), and passed it onto me. I hope you will enjoy it; especially if you've watched Steven Spielberg's ET recently.

I would like to post some pictures of the Christmas parties we've been having at school, but I seemed to have left my camera there. Sorry! In other news, my lessons went well today and let's hope the last two days of class go just as well. Wish me luck (say "ganbate")!

I really have to mention two last things! First, I really surprised Lauren yesterday when I blurted out in Japanese "abunai desho?", which means "Isn't that dangerous!?". (She was talking to a friend who was riding their bike while speaking to her on the phone. Since I was sitting at the table with her, it was easy to hear her laughing at the way their wheezy voice was emanating from the cell phone speaker.) She looked at me like she had seen a ghost and then said "Wow! Sheila! That was great!".

Secondly, I have recently fallen in love with crossword puzzles. Lauren downloads high school level puzzles off of the New York Times Learning Network Website for her more advanced students and has been giving me a copy every week for the past three weeks. I have tried crossword puzzles in the past, but until lately, it has always been too frustrating for me to complete one in its entirety. The level of Lauren's puzzles are just right. However, once I start getting a little better at the high school level puzzles, I should graduate onto bigger and better things/levels. I'm on my way to Stamford, CT! Or maybe not...

:)

Random Side Note: I was talking with one of my students today, and he assured me that most people don't eat KFC for Christmas. There are a few people who do partake in this tradition, but it seems to be more of something you see more commonly on television; Japollywood (Japan + Hollywood) style if you will.

No comments: