Monday, December 3, 2007

BOP Letter

12.4.07

I have a lot to write about this past weekend, but I just spent a majority of my free time writing this letter to the Binghamton University Administration. I hope I'm not too late in sending it and I hope the issue gets resolved. I cannot believe that they are actually thinking of canceling all the Outdoor Pursuits classes this coming Fall 2008. Hearing that made me extremely sad. Here's the letter I sent in it's final form. If you haven't sent a letter yet, please do so as soon as you can! If you need any information please leave me a comment and I will email you as much about the current situation as I know.

President Louis DeFleur and Administrative Staff:

I am writing this letter in regards to the possible cancellation of all Binghamton University Outdoor Pursuits activities and classes this coming Fall 2008. I was deeply disappointed upon receiving the information that the administration, like yourself, would be considering such a disheartening change in curriculum.

As a recent alumna of Binghamton University (Class of 2007), I cannot even begin to explain how important these classes were to my education. The education we obtain should prepare us to be creative in competitive situations; creativity sets us apart from the rest. Classes such as those offered through the Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits Office allow students to expand their worldly knowledge by exposing them to atypical environments that cannot possibly be simulated in a classroom. With a broader knowledge base, students will be able to creatively bring disparate ideas together for the benefit of themselves, our global society, and their alma-mater. For this reason, I hope you consider maintaining all Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits classes including and not limited to: Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Fly Fishing, Backpacking, Hiking, Cross Country Skiing, Bicycling, and the Canada Canoe class.

As a student in the Spring 2007 Hiking class offered through the Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits Office, I had the privilege of learning a vast amount of information concerning local Binghamton wildlife, basic survival skills, how to identify several plants and animals, and had the opportunity to meet university students outside of my major. Besides learning many new things, I enjoyed the physical challenges that the class offered; I exercised both my mind and body. Prior to taking this class, I had ever used snowshoes, but had the chance to use them on on-campus and off-campus hikes.

I strongly hope you consider my request to maintain all the Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits classes. These classes allow students to develop life skills that are immensely important for a well rounded education. If Binghamton University hopes to achieve the highest standard of education, it is necessary to fund classes such as those offered by the Binghamton Outdoor Pursuits Office.

Thank you for your time. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above or email me.

Best Regards,

Sheila M. Saia
Binghamton University Class of 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautifully written!!