Friday, October 15, 2010

A Visitor from the ATL

10.6-13.10

Over fall break, Jon Newman flew all the way from Atlanta just to visit me. I picked him up from the airport and helped him get settled in my house. We did a little hiking around my neighborhood, made some dinner, and headed to Cornell's Fuertes Observatory. Every clear Friday night around 9pm the observatory is open to the public. Because it was a clear night, the message on their machine assured me that the observatory was open. While you walked around to look through the telescopes, members of the Cornell Astronomy Club would help explain what constellations you would expect to see. We were able to see Jupiter (as well as the sunspot on its surface), an owl constellation, and a comet. The Astronomy Club members were very friendly, knowledgeable, and welcoming. One of them told us about some of the stories behind the constellations. Jon and I both liked it.

On Saturday Jon, Johan (my climbing friend from Cornell), and I left bright and early for Blue Run Rocks near Gaines, PA. This was my third time climbing outdoors but it was really fun. The most exciting part was learning how to how to lead climb. Because Jon and Johan both have had a lot of experience lead climbing, they were great teachers. To explain, lead climbing is basically a type of sport climbing where you climb above your rope. Usually the first person that ascends a route will lead climb, set up an anchor at the top of the route for the next climber(s), and then be lowered down to the ground. As the climber moves up the wall they use special carabener sets called "quickdraws" to clip into bolts that have been permanently screwed into the rock face. Once the climber comes close to a bolt, they grab the quickdraw from their harness, clip it a portion of it into the bolt, pick up the rope dangling below them, and feed it through the second part of the quickdraw. The hardest part of lead climbing is making sure you clip in as soon as possible. Because you're climbing above your rope you will fall as far as your last clip. This fall can be scary if the bolts on the wall are spread out.

Besides lead climbing there is also top roping. I normally climb using this technique because it is a easier and requires less equipment. In top roping your support rope is above you; the rope has been anchored into the top of the route. Since this was my first time lead climbing, Jon helped me rig up the ropes so I was top roping and lead climbing at the same time. If I fell then I wouldn't fall nearly as far as if I had been lead climbing alone. One step at a time.

Me

Jon

Johan

Pride Rock

This place reminded us of the movie Fern Gully.

Jon is very focused as he belays Johan.

While Jon belayed, I scoped out the surroundings and found this cool cave.

I found some ferns!

I also took pictures of Johan.

Peace (Johan)

Bunny Ears (Jon)

Here I am lead climbing for the first time.

It was getting late and we had to walk back to the car.

Jon and I!

Besides climbing on Saturday, we did a lot of wandering around Ithaca. I took Jon to the farmer's market, to the Cornell plantations, to my favorite restaurant (Sticky Rice), up to campus, and around the Commons. On Tuesday Elliot invited us both to see his PhD defense. I learned a lot about what he studied and was happy to see the finished product of all of his hard work.

I was sad that Jon had to go back to Atlanta but he has 6 more trips to go before I can visit him in Atlanta. That's the rule: 1 Atlanta trip for every 7 Ithaca trips. ;)

No comments: