Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Quarter Century

8.21.10

Today I turned 25! I invited a few lab mates over to make sushi; we've been meaning to do this for a long time now. Overall, I think we did a pretty great job. Especially since this was the first or second time many of us had tried out hand at this Japanese culinary art.

My lab mates Helen, Tony, and Veronica from left to right.

Ben is waiting to make his sushi role. We had all the fillings lined up and ready to go: scrambled egg, avocado, imitation crab meat, cucumber, asparagus, red pepper, carrots, pickled radish, burdock root, kimchi, and pickled plum. Of course we also had sliced ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce for eating/dipping.

My ume-kyu (say oo-meh-que) with umeboshi (pickled plum) and kyuri (cucumber) is on the far right. This type of vegetarian sushi is very common in Japan. The sourness of the plum contrasted well with the fresh and watery cucumber. The other role was made by Helen. I think it had egg, imitation crab meat, and avocado.

Ben is cutting his sushi role with my new Cutco knife.
(Thanks you Mama and Mom for the amazing knives!)

Ben Sushi Close-Up

Each one of us made a role to share.

My second role resembles a face with pickled burdock root for the eyes and cucumber hair.

Take 1 with heavenly glow from the chandelier. From left to right: Haruo, Christine, Helen (as a bunny), Veronica (eating kimchi), Ben, Tony, and me.

Take two: (back) Tony, Helen (with a mustache), Christine (feedee), Veronica (feeder), Ben, (front) Haruo, and me.

Ben asked me if he could make a chocolate pie and I begged him to make carrot cake instead because it's my favorite. With the cream cheese frosting of course. :)

We didn't have candles so we used matches instead.

Ben and Veronica tried to frantically light the candles and I was making their job harder by blowing them out too soon.

Finally, all the matches were lit.

It's official. I'm 25!

After cake and sushi we talked and watched a few interesting clips on youtube.com. If you haven't already seen it: try this first and then this.

Special Shout Out: Thank you to all my friends and family who called and sent cards!

No comments: