Sunday, November 15, 2009

Taking the Hoffman Challenge!

11.1.09

Today I met a group of lab mates and friends at the Hoffman Challenge Course. This high ropes course was located about 10 minutes from Cornell's campus on the very top of Mount Pleasant. And if I'm not mistaken, Mount Pleasant is one of the highest points in Tompkins County. The view was beautiful and the course elements were amazing.

There were a variety of challenge courses and I tried to do as many as I could. However, I still wasn't able to do them all. My favorite element involved jumping off a mock Cornell clock tower, free-falling for 10 feet, and finally being caught by the rope you were attached to. Safety was of utmost importance; it was mandatory that all participants wear helmets and harnesses. Christine and I also slide down the zip-line together. We had upper body harnesses that allowed us to fly out of the clock tower head first. We looked like "Superman"/Superwoman.

View from the Top of Mount Pleasant

Tony and Helen getting ready for a fun day up in the trees.

Veronica and Nate trying out the Jungle Gym element. I completed this element with a student named Dan. It took us a while and we were very tired at the end but it was worth the struggle.

Christine and Christian hanging out on the Jungle Gym.

Here, I'm climbing up the clock tower with the plan of jumping off. The first element I tried was called the King Swing. You free-fall for 10 feet before your harness kicks in and leaves you swinging 8 feet above the ground.

Nate is getting read to jump off of the King Swing.

Christian on the Grape Vine Element

Go first-years!
(me, Christine, and Christian)

The whole gang from left to right: Christine, me, Holly, Stephen, Ali, Nate, Veronica, Helen, Christian, and Tony.

Sunset from Mount Pleasant

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

My favorite element involved jumping off a mock Cornell clock tower, free-falling for 10 feet, and finally being caught by the rope you were attached to. <---so that's like practicing jumping into a gorge and contributing to Cornell's suicide rate? haha just kidding.