Monday, June 8, 2009

Peonies & Irises

6.8.09

Ever since I was little, my mother's peonies have always fascinated me. I remember looking at their buds for the first time and realizing they were covered with sugar ants. I ran over to my mother to warn her of what I had observed she looked at me and said, "Sheila, don't be afraid of those little ants. The flowers need them to eat the sweet sap that covers their buds and keeps them from opening." From that summer on, I remember staring respectively at the little ants as they scurried around the delicate, round peony buds.

The bud is so tight that you would never expect the number of petals to be so numerous as it really is.

My mother has pink and red peonies as well. The red ones have not opened yet but the pink ones are well on their way.

The center of the pink peonies have a slight yellow tint to them; this makes them look orange.

My mother has several purple irises in her garden.

Looking Up

No comments: